Respite workers give you a break from caregiving
The Massachusetts Respite Directory helps by enabling families to find respite workers when they’re needed.
Respite means a time of rest or relief. Respite workers provide family caregivers with temporary relief from the responsibilities of caring for a family member of any age with special care needs.
The need for respite workers is growing, and finding the right person can be difficult and time consuming.
to download a flyer for families.
The Massachusetts Respite Directory:
- Provides up-to-date names and contact information of people who can work full- or part-time
- Lets you review their experience
- Enables you to learn if respite workers are available mornings, days, evenings, overnight, or weekends
Post a description of your job opening by clicking here.
Here's how it works:
- Establish an account by clicking here.
- If you or a family member is eligible for DDS services, click here for more information about free access to the Directory.
- If you or a family member is NOT eligible for DDS services, click here
- Search the list of available respite care providers.
- After you find one or more people who meet your specific needs, you contact them by phone or email to arrange an interview.
- When you find someone who meets your needs and who wants to work for you, you hire that person. Click here for hiring tips.
Developed by family members for family members, the Massachusetts Respite Directory is a joint project of Rewarding Work Resources, the Massachusetts Department of Developmental Services, (DDS) and the Massachusetts Lifespan Respite Coalition (MLRC).
The MLRC was formed in 2010 to promote and support access to quality respite care options that enhance the lives of individuals and families with special needs.
For more information on the Massachusetts Lifespan Respite Coalition, please visit