As an employer, you have certain responsibilities. Among them are the responsibilities to:
- Clearly explain the responsibilities of the job. Clearly state the terms of employment, including what the job pays and the hours and days the worker is needed
- Check references of job candidates.
- If you are a member of KanCare, your Financial Management Services Provider will work with you to conduct a criminal background check.
- If you are not a member of KanCare, it is still highly recommended that you conduct a full criminal background check. Some important checks you may want to consider are: Adult Protective Services Registry, Child Protective Services Registry, National Criminal Database Search, and Motor Vehicle Record Check. While conducting multiple registry checks per person can be costly, some background screening companies may bundle registry checks per person more economically.
- If you are not a member of KanCare, you should consider worker compensation insurance for your worker.
- For more information on background checks, click here.
- Supervise your employee by giving direction and feedback.
- Pay your employee on time.
- For more guidance on hiring personal care workers, please refer to Useful Tips.
- You may be asked to participate in occasional surveys that will help us evaluate the effectiveness of the Personal Care Directory. We appreciate your participation.
Job candidates in the Rewarding Work database have NOT been screened in any way and their backgrounds have NOT been checked. That is your responsibility as an employer.